During the normal time people are less aware of what they should be eating but during this time as we battle the novel Corona virus, one needs FOODS that will help build up the Immune System.
Good foods to help you boost your immunity
1. Garlic tea. This protects against respiratory infections and destroys unwanted bacteria or virus in the body.
2. Most of fresh fruits give you Vitamin C. This is particularly important for the immune response and for reducing inflammation. Fruits like oranges, lemons, Apples, cucumber, carrots, Mangoes, Plums, peaches, etc.….
3. Grape seed extract. This boosts the immune system and protects lung tissue. This can reduce the frequency and severity of colds, flu, and other complications.
4.Vitamin B. This is needed for normal digestion such as our own Millet, brown rice, eggs, legumes (beans, lentils, dark leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach
Fruits (citrus fruits, avocados, bananas).
5. Zinc is needed for tissue repair and immune function. Most cereal contain zinc, oysters, beef patty, lobster, Yogurt, pumpkin seeds, cashew.
6. Ginger helpful for fever may fight flu and colds fight flu and colds. It is an antibacterial, so it helps support the immune system and helps to prevent nausea and soothe an upset stomach.
7.Cayenne helps to keep mucus flowing. Aiding in preventing congestion and headaches. Simply add a bit of cayenne powder to hot tea /soups and other food.
9. Eat hot soups and tea, soothe throats, and relieve congestion. I call these Medicinal foods: I boil water and add garlic, onions, turmeric, black pepper, pineapple, ginger, lemon, and honey drink as tea. This can be done daily to boost your immune.
How to make Fruits / Vegetable / green drinks
Fresh lemon fruits, Turmeric, Onions, Black pepper, Pineapples, Honey and Water.
Blend all together then Sieve the pulp. You can use it for steaming later (Okweyoteza)
10. There are certain foods that we can avoid during the Pandemic. I call them Bad foods. These foods include too many carbohydrates and starches. Such as bread, potatoes maize floor (cone), Sugars, Alcohol especially hard liquors, Street drugs such as MJ, Fried foods; They are difficult to digest and they are fatty.
11. Corona virus thrives in the cold. Please Avoid COLD stuff during thepandemic.
12. Getting enough sleep, Nutritious eating, hygiene, exercise, and fresh air are good habits we need to embrace not forgetting to wear a mask and social disease.
Stay safe Stay healthy. We are all in this together, we will get through it together For more information, visit the Center for Disease Control(CDC) website at www.cdc.gov , UBCA website at www.ubca2013.org or call UBCA Helpline 1-508-468-1406
By Dorothy Ssebakka (RN BSN) – UBCA COVID Task Force Member